Sunday, February 1, 2009

Producing Pressures

I've determined that Sunday afternoon is far from the ideal .com shift. There's hardly anything to do. But I was able to accomplish a good bit today. Jennifer Noncek had her 8 On Your Money HFR run today and so I got to do some work prepping all that to go online. She had TONS of web extras for me, which was awesome. I had to scan in a handful of PDFs and she had some other links, too. We got an image uploaded as well, and then edited the web version of her story for AP style, spelling, grammar, etc. That was lots of fun. I felt like I was back in my copy editing class again from last semester. So it was definitely cool to be able to put those skills into practice again.

So there's .com week #2. But what else is going on in the life of Mr. McKibbin?

The pressure is definitely on. At least in my opinion. Only 3 and a half months 'til graduation day, and that figure is shrinking fast. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do now. Producing really seems like it's the ticket for me. It's just a matter of being good enough at it to land a job. Last week's Friday 6 wasn't so hot. I just am not quite comfortable yet, or at least confident yet, in my decision-making and writing. But hey, I've only been at this for 2 weeks. It seems like a good excuse, but excuses aren't going to get me a job. Every show that passes that is un-résumé-tape-worthy keeps me from inching ever-closer to landing that first job. I thought I was a perfectionist; I thought I was meticulous; I thought I was obsessive. But I'm not . . . well - not enough . . . at least not yet. As I said, I've only been at this for two weeks and I know that's the kind of thing that comes with time. I just feel like I don't have time to not be good enough. I have to get good; I have to get perfect. And I have to get there soon. I HAVE to get a job.

At this point, I need to strive to make those small steps, win those small victories. And not stress about making such huge strides. Shoot for the moon though, eh? Land among the stars . . . something like that. We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand that drive to be perfect as a producer -- one tip from a pro: You can never be totally perfect when you're working with live newscasts. I do think an added vision for the web that goes with your producing can carry you far. I'd love to brainsorm on ways to keep you focused and productive during your Sunday shifts.

    ReplyDelete