Sunday, February 8, 2009

DEVELOPING STORY: Development Project

Okay, so after our group's meeting with Matt last week, I'm feeling quite a bit overwhelmed by the task at hand. Although, I'm not really sure what the task at hand is. And I think that's what makes it so overwhelming to me. I'm the kind of person that wants to know: "Here's what you need to do; here's how you're going to do it; here's when you need to do it by." But I get the feeling that's not how this project is going to work. Another source of my uneasiness is the fact that I have no idea what we're talking about - all these TDDs and TIFs and whatever-the-hell else we're going to have to get into. And I'm not sure I quite get the question: who pays for Columbia's growth? Well duh!!! Columbia does! Or is the question more: at whose (or what's) expense (not strictly monetary) does Columbia's growth come? These are some ideas I feel I definitely need to get clarified.

Nonetheless, I'm going to do what I was told to do. After all, that's all I really know to do at this point. After a simple search in ACM for the term "development," I navigated through the results looking for relevant stories and placed them in the KSR-development category. I made it through all stories from today (Feb. 8, 2009) through Jan. 1, 2007. So I guess I made it through the past 2+ years. That netted us 35 KOMU stories in the development category. So there's a lot of material to consider, and at the rate of 35 stories every two years, there's still much more to uncover. It's going to be a lot of work to lend a self-fulfilling hand to this project.

Producing went much better this week, I think. I'm overcompensating in the booth a little for my timidity of past weeks. Previously, when I would get heavy, I would freeze up and have to lean on my TA to help my with what to drop. This week, as soon as I got heavy I was champing at the bit to drop something. I was more assertive, but unnecessarily so at times. Just have to find a happy medium. But I'm getting better, for sure. I'm more confident, more relaxed. I know what I'm doing. It's just perfecting everything like I know I have to do.

Holly and Randy have given me some names of people they know in the markets in which I'm interested. That's getting me excited about job hunting and networking to try and finagle my way into a job somewhere. But then there's the fact that I have no idea when I'm going to have a good resume tape, much less how I even make one of those when I've got the stuff to put in it. I'm just so nervous about what's going to happen. The real world = definitely scary.

.com editing is pretty standard for my Sunday afternoon shift. Just tidying up the mess, if you will, left behind by yesterday's content. Almost 24 hours later, we still had "Breaking News" on the homepage (body found in Missouri River). Not really breaking any more. So I got that taken down. The image in top news front for one story (Festival Promotes Heart Health) was sized wrong so I had to resize that and get it back online so it looks pretty.
http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRender/KOMU.com/ba8a4513-c0a8-2f11-0063-9bd94c70b769/535fe0cd-80ce-0971-0046-d984faa9ebc9
I also added several sidebar pictures in stories to duplicate the top news front image and added descriptions to go under those.
http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRender/KOMU.com/ba8a4513-c0a8-2f11-0063-9bd94c70b769/53a9fbdf-80ce-0971-004d-42e3a2fe21ad
http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRender/KOMU.com/ba8a4513-c0a8-2f11-0063-9bd94c70b769/53f66cf8-80ce-0971-017b-8877892603b8

There's the update. Reporting live from the Ocho, Andrew McKibbin, KOMU-8 News.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about the development project -- you guys will have a chance to look into Columbia's past and help it understand its future. Ohhhh. Save that, it could end up being a good tease for a newscast someday!

    Hopefully Matt gave you some reading to understand what the heck TDD and TIF's are -- in a short summary, they're extra sales tax in certain shopping districts in Columbia that are supposed to help pay for things like roads in the area or development that will "improve" the city. Stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete